Quotes:

The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible - Vladimir Nabokov

There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside you - Zora Neale Hurston


17 May 2013

Best and Worst Movies Remake Blogfest

My blogging routine is still completely out of wack (by about two years thanks to my gorgeous but exhausting 2-year-old boy), so I'm easing back in with one of my favorite activities--blogfests!

Best and Worst Movie Remakes is something I could rant about for hours (thanks Alex J Cavanaugh Stephen Tremp, Livia Peterson, and Al Diaz for feeding my addiction), but I'll be brief:

Best Movie Remake:

Fright Night - I loved the original 1985 version when I was a kid (who can forget Jerry Dandritch eating that apple) but the 2011 version was *gasp* better. I credit David Tennant (my favorite Doctor and my favorite vampire hunter) for that.





Worst Movie Remake:

Total Recall

Sure Schwarzenegger's Total Recall was campy, but it had MARS people. I love Mars, and if we didn't have such a crummy space program I would so be there as the resident xenobiologist. But more than that, the 2012 version had an elevator going through the core of the planet. Do you know how frigging far that is when you could more easily have a plane? Or better yet, enslaved local labor? Or domes? No, much easier for me to believe in aliens having built a terraforming device on Mars that's just sitting there waiting to be activated. Yes, totally believable. Also, the 1990 version did a better job of making me think the main character was just dreaming the whole thing. I love that 'is it real or is it all in their head?' doubt that can keep me discussing the movie long after it's over.




I just noticed I have a Colin Farrell theme going here, so nothing against him--it's all down to the writers people. Write well and you make the world a better place.

Thank you for listening to my rants and bring on the next blogfest!







10 comments:

  1. I love the orginal Fright Night and Love Roddy McDowell but have not seen the remake-will have to take a look at it for sure. Had no desire to see the remake of Total Recall as the ads looked even bad and it stars Colin Farrell so nuf said:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. never watched Fright Night. I enjoyed total recall though, simply bec. I never got to see the original.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. neat pics haven't seen the new version of totaql recall

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of the original Fright Night and thought the remake was good. Just different enough to be its own film.
    Total Recall was Totally Unnecessary. I only watched for Kate.
    Thanks for participating in our blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Total Recall has had divided votes today. Some say it's good and some say it's bad. I personally liked the remake more than the original. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wild that Colin Farrell made your best and worst list Lorel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen the remake of Fright Night. Loved the campy original, though. Roddy McDowell was so funny.

    I just saw Recall recently. I thought it was pretty good. Funny how you chose two Colin Farrell movies.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the world-building in the TOTAL RECALL remake, but it definitely had an Arnold-sized hole in its heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hear, hear! I chose Total Recall as well, and I love the original, campy cheesiness and all!

    ReplyDelete