Quotes:

The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible - Vladimir Nabokov

There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside you - Zora Neale Hurston


08 November 2009

This is actually fun


I spent four hours on Sunday rewriting Chapter 1 of my first novel, and I enjoyed it. I'd been putting off the revisions for ages, wanting to learn more first and dreading going back over old territory. It seems much more enticing to move on to new stories. A writer, however, re-writes. So, I disciplined myself and had at it. I knew the characters better this time around, wasn't afraid to get into the action and ditch some backstory (or save it for later), and had loads of fun. I took a few new directions, which will send ripples into the rest of the manuscript, so I have much editing ahead of me, but it was worth it. I can make this thing better, stronger, faster...


I would have spent the whole day writing, but I made the mistake of taking a break for dinner and watching my recordings of "Glee". It was good. I hadn't seen it before, but I was instantly hooked and had a monster marathon until midnight. To feel less guilty, I called it "research" on high school students. Everything feeds your writing :) Tonight I have to actually write, however. After I watch one more episode.

2 comments:

  1. I only know 2 writers who *claim* to enjoy revisions. I don't trust those writers. :)

    Good luck with it. And...I've heard good things about Glee but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to record it--thanks!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only *claim* to have enjoyed it this once:) I'm sure the novelty will wear off. I'll tell you how I feel by the time I get to chapter 20.

    Yes, you must watch Glee. There are some strange characters, plus lots of singing and dancing (I never thought I was the type to like musicals, but apparently I am). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete